In a healthcare setting, administrative assistants are responsible for both clerical and patient-related tasks. An admin assistant must help with maintaining a clear and effectively run office environment while also providing support to clinical areas of a healthcare facility.
Strong communication and organizational skills are essential for an admin assistant, as they must coordinate with patients and other staff members via email, fax, and phone. Admin assistants split their days with digital work, such as data entry and insurance verification, as well as physical work, such as restocking supplies and organizing the office area.
- Accept incoming calls and redirect them as needed
- Designate meetings and conference calls
- Restock and organize office supplies
- Assist with appointment verification and scheduling
- Help with data entry, faxing, and scanning
- Verify insurance information
- Perform other office duties when needed
- Collect copays and maintain patient charts
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience
- Associate degree in a related field preferred
- 1+ years in a similar role preferred
- Proficiency with word processing software