HOW TO ACHIEVE SUCCESSFUL VALUE-BASED CARE IN BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
In recent years, the field of healthcare has experienced many operational changes as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Such changes include an increased emphasis on the nation’s mental health crisis as well as a rise in popularity of value-based care.
A value-based healthcare model determines and rewards success based on the results of the provided care. While increasingly popular, this model can be challenging for certain fields, like behavioral health.
CHALLENGES TO VALUE-BASED CARE IN BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
There are several obstacles that must be addressed before applying a value-based care model to the field of behavioral health.
- Behavioral health suffers from a social stigma both outside and within the medical community, and is often undervalued as a result. Value-based care in behavioral health will work best once those in and out of the industry see behavioral health as one part of the overall health formula.
- On a similar note, many patients see behavioral health services as a distinctly separate entity than other health services. For a value-based care approach to work, awareness must be made promoting the correlation between positive behavioral health and increased physical health so that the general public starts seeking behavioral health services on the same scale as other health services.
- One important aspect of value-based care is the ability to measure results. However, it can be notably difficult for behavioral health practitioners to adopt a value-based care approach because mental illnesses lack clear measurable outcomes.
SOLUTIONS TO VALUE-BASED CARE IN BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
Value-based behavioral healthcare can be achieved by:
- Offering behavioral health patients with accessible preventative care and mental health intervention programs.
- Raising awareness about the benefits of getting an early diagnosis. Early behavioral healthcare is particularly beneficial to behavioral health patients with conditions like anxiety because a significant number of them will suffer with the condition for many years before getting a professional diagnosis.
- Adopting evidence-based instruments and data-sharing models that objectively measure quality care, track patient progress, and assess symptoms overtime.
- Staffing your behavioral health facility with qualified professionals who accept, support, and can deliver value-based care.
FIND QUALIFIED BEHAVIORAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS AT HEALTHCARE SUPPORT
HealthCare Support is the premiere, national staffing resource for the healthcare industry. Our dedicated behavioral health recruiting team accesses a vast professional network to connect you with knowledgeable and skilled candidates looking for long-term careers. For more information on our services, call HealthCare Support at 888-219-6285 today.