Working with patients, physicians, and third parties, insurance specialists are responsible for a range of insurance-related tasks. Insurance specialists also accept payments and conduct billing audits to verify statements and refunds. From verifying coverage to filing appeals, these professionals must have a thorough understanding of the claims process.
Completing insurance reports, resolving patient balances, and responding to patient inquiries are a few additional day-to-day responsibilities of an insurance specialist. Therefore, workers in insurance specialist roles must be detail-oriented employees, skilled communicators, and highly organized professionals.
- Confirm insurance eligibility
- Record patient information
- Print, copy, and fax documents
- Update insurance information
- Process medical claims
- Create refund and appeal requests
- Communicate with patients and third parties
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience
- Associate degree in a related field preferred
- 1+ years of experience in a similar role (claims/appeals)
- Proficiency with word processing software