Medical Records Specialist
Through both digital databases and physical records departments, medical records specialists maintain accurate and up-to-date filing systems. After scanning documents to check for coding errors, medical records specialists are responsible for storing files in an organized system where they can easily be retrieved in the future.
Similarly, medical records specialists often physically or digitally pull records to assist with insurance verification and specific physician requests. Overseeing storage facilities filled with sensitive information, medical records specialists must strictly adhere to HIPAA regulations to uphold document security and privacy.
- Organize medical records
- Update patient files
- Retrieve medical records as needed
- Inspect medical records for coding errors or inconsistencies
- Scan, copy, and fax documents
- Split charts when necessary
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience
- Associate degree in a related field preferred
- 1+ years of experience in a medical records role preferred
- Proficiency with word processing software