Member Service Rep
For durable medical equipment (DME) member service representatives, day-to-day activities involve a mixture of customer service and data entry. These representatives must correspond with patients, referral sources, and third parties to address their questions and concerns regarding medical equipment purchases. Furthermore, member service reps may sometimes have to process payments or collect billing information to provide to account managers.
A large part of a member service rep’s position involves record keeping, as these professionals must detail and process sensitive information regarding mailing addresses, demographics, and purchasing information. Furthermore, the day-to-day responsibilities of a member service rep often include updates regarding member accounts and information, as well as ticket delivery creation.
- Assemble files for billing and mailing
- Receive incoming calls and place outgoing calls
- Communicate with patients and referral sources
- Maintain contact logs and gather caller information
- Correct and input insurance information for verification
- Offer guidance on equipment usage
- Address member inquiries and concerns
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience
- 1–2+ years of customer service experience
- 1+ years of experience in a healthcare setting preferred
- Proficiency with word processing software