Recruiting Top Talent: The Do’s and Don’ts
Recruiting talented employees takes a certain amount of skill. The candidate needs a job, and you need to fill a role. It’s a partnership. So, just like you’re looking for specific qualifications in a potential employee, they too have certain expectations of you.
When hiring staff for your healthcare industry, keep these do’s and don’ts in mind:
- Do read the candidates resume so that you can discuss relevant information pertaining to the job position.
- Do introduce yourself with a firm handshake to help the candidate feel more comfortable in an unfamiliar environment.
- Do make an effort to remember the candidate’s name (ex. “Hello Kathy, it’s nice to meet you.”)
- Do be on time to show the candidate that punctuality and attendance matters on both their end and yours.
- Do listen to what your candidate has to say to discover things that may be important to them.
- Do discuss all of the fantastic perks your business can offer them such as competitive compensation, benefits, career advancement opportunities, catered lunches, paid time off, overtime pay, etc.
- Do give candidates something to be excited about by putting some focus on your organization’s culture and values.
- Don’t surprise the candidate. Instead, be transparent about the hiring process being sure to set proper expectations.
- Don’t forget to write down notes on each candidate’s resume. Throughout the hiring process, you will meet a lot of people, so it’s important to have specific details to refer back to.
- Don’t stick to certain hiring processes especially if you haven’t been getting the results you wanted with previous new hires.
- Don’t let inexperienced staff handle the initial screening and interview process. An employee who doesn’t have the proper hiring background could easily overlook candidates whose talent could be best utilized.
- Don’t forget that everything you say or do during the hiring process could cause the candidate to see the organization, culture, and management in either a negative or positive light.
- Don’t drag the interview out or lead a candidate on if you know they aren’t the right fit. After all, you could be using that time to recruit someone you feel has more potential for your organization.
Hiring top healthcare talent for your organization can be a daunting task; yet, it’s one of the most critical processes. Recruiting the wrong candidates often leads to loss of productivity, customers, brand integrity, and more. Luckily, there are recruitment firms that can help.
HealthCare Support (HSS) places top talent in the dynamic healthcare industry. And, because we’re focused solely on healthcare, we understand the needs of our clients better than anyone else. For general questions or to acquire our services, please call us today at 1-888-219-6285.