To prevent patients from accidentally scheduling services, treatments, or other appointments with clinical specialists who are not approved by their insurance provider, referral specialists authorize insurance information and verify patient eligibility. Referral specialists may also accept payment or billing information to help patients understand what they will be charged for their care.
- Process referral records and patient information
- Maintain data reports and update billing information
- Check for insurance verification
- Coordinate across medical departments
- Correspond with insurance companies
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience
- Associate’s degree
- 1+ years’ experience in a medial office
Referral specialists must have a strong understanding of medical terminology to effectively process patient charts and verify referral information. Likewise, professionals in this position require strong communication skills, as they regularly answer incoming phone calls and correspond with clinical departments.