When patients have outstanding balances at a healthcare facility or need to make a payment on their account, they contact a collection representative. Collection reps not only process payments and adjust invoices, but they also liaise with third parties to ensure that all invoice information is accurate and up to date.
While evaluating patient accounts and statements, collection reps analyze each account with outstanding balances and evaluate the corresponding credit risk. Using this information, they can then reach out to responsible parties to both update information and create an optimal payment plan.
- Process and evaluate credit applications
- Contact patients with outstanding balances
- Receive inbound calls for payment collections
- Correspond with third parties to verify patient account information
- Update billing information
- Process invoice updates
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma, GED, or equivalent experience
- 1–2+ years of experience in a similar environment
- 1+ years of experience in a healthcare setting preferred
- Proficiency with word processing software