Credentialing Specialists ensure that medical staff members’ maintain current credentials and licenses to work legally in their field or specialty. These specialists monitor upcoming renewal dates and work with medical staff to advise them of the required steps to maintain their credentials. They also review information on potential new employees to make sure all required licenses and credentials are current before hiring.
Those working as credentialing specialists are informed about the regulations and standards required to achieve and maintain licensure and other credentials. A thorough knowledge of applicable medical policy is also needed.
Credentialing specialists often work independently. This requires the specialist to be able to manage their workloads effectively to meet set deadlines. Strong computer skills are necessary for the input and maintenance of data, as well as for performing research regarding licensing or credentialing requirements in their area. Interaction with other medical professionals, office personnel, and the public is standard.
- Maintain compliance with all regulatory and accrediting institutions
- Monitor staff credentials and licenses
- Advise staff on renewal procedures
- Participate in the development of internal credentialing processes
- Keep records in licenses, credentials and insurance contracts
- Release information to agencies and members of the public as required by law
Education and Qualifications
- For some positions, a Certified Provider Credentialing Specialist (CPCS) certification through the National Association Medical Staff Services (NAMSS) may be required, though experience may substitute in certain situations
- Education beyond high school is often required
- A few years of experience performing similar duties in a medical facility
Setting the Standard in Talent
If this job sounds like it could be a good fit for you, or you’d like to check out other jobs like this one, contact HealthCare Support. Our professionals a ready to help you find employment in the health care industry that fits your strengths and schedule. Our unique employment solutions are sure to help you find your way in the ever-changing industry of health care. To learn more about us, or check out the jobs we offer, call us today at 888-219-6285.